A sequence for general or level 1 students with a focus on standing poses
This class focuses on standing poses in the Iyengar method and is intended for students that have completed a beginners course at a certified Iyengar yoga studio. Pixie Lillas guides your through a gentler progression of standing poses that allow you to build on your work in class.
We start out in Supta Swastikasana, reclining over a bolster in simple cross legs, then to Virasana forwards to release the upper back and extend the shoulders. Uttanasana leads you to two variations of Adho Mukha Svanasana (Dogpose): the first with the hands supported on two blocks and the second variation as normal. We stand up and move to Urdvha Hastasana raising the arms up then half Uttanasana with the hands to the wall.
Then we get to the standing poses:
- Trikonasana (Triangle Pose)
- Utthita Parsva Konasana (Extended Side Angle Pose)
- Virabhadrasana 1 (Warrior 1)
- Virabhadrasana 2 (Warrior 2)
- Ardha Chandrasana (Half Moon Pose)
- Parivrtta Trikonasana (Turning Triangle Pose)
- Parsvottanasana (Intense Side Stretch Pose)
- Prasarita Padottanasana (Wide-legged Forward Bend)
We move then to some forward bends and preparatory poses for the upper back and shoulders: Baddhanguliyasana in Virasana, Dandasana (staff pose), supported Head Balance Preparation and Setu Bandha over a bolster. We finish in Savasana.
Video stills from this sequence
Illustrated sequence of video
Download and print the free illustrated sequence of this video.